Retiring Senator Jon Kyl stated that “90% of what Planned Parenthood does is abortion.” Kyl then retracted his statement, claiming that his words were “not intended to be a factual statement.”
This is a rough breakdown of how Planned Parenthood actually spends its $330 million (about one dollar per citizen) of federal funding each year.
Testing and treatment of sexually transmitted diseases: 35 percent. Contraception: 35 percent. Cancer screening and prevention: 16 percent. Other women’s health services: 10 percent. Abortion: 3 percent.
Furthermore, in accordance with federal law, not one dollar of Planned Parenthood’s federal funding directly pays for abortion procedures. The only thing Planned Parenthood does with your tax dollars in relation to abortion is to help women make informed decisions regarding their choices.
Here are ten very good reasons not to “defund” Planned Parenthood:
1. Planned Parenthood educates women in matters of birth control, which reduces the need for abortion.
2. Planned Parenthood educates women in matters of body image, raising their self-esteem. This in turn leads to less single mothers because they choose better men.
3. Planned Parenthood provides screening for anemia, cholesterol, diabetes and thyroid issues.
4. Planned Parenthood tests men for colon cancer, erectile dysfunction, jock itch, infertility, prostate cancer, testicular cancer and offers vasectomies.
5. Planned Parenthood informs women about pregnancy prevention, prenatal care, pregnancy testing and stages of pregnancy.
6. Planned Parenthood offers information to help women determine if they are in a safe and healthy relationship with their significant other.
7. Planned Parenthood offers women a variety of services related to preventing sexually transmitted diseases, including the use of contraceptives and how to get tested.
8. Planned Parenthood offers pap smears, mammograms, help with menstruation and menopause.
9. Planned Parenthood helps women get treated for yeast infections and urinary tract infections.
10. Senator Jon Kyl lied about what Planned Parenthood does and $330 million dollars is a drop in the bucket in regards to our federal budget.